Tuesday 12 July 2011

AUSTEN-ITUS HAS STRUCK AGAIN

Dear Readers. I am suffering from my annual case of Austen-itus. It affects me every year at about the same time causing me to speak slowly and distinctly, avoiding contractions, split infinitives or slang expressions. I find, at these times that my back is held straighter, my hair tidier and my smile shows less teeth and is bestowed upon all and sundry, even upon those who look at me oddly.
I tend not to shout or say 'what?' and I call my husband Mr.F...e and try very hard not to respond with my usual profanities when he gets on my w.... joshes me.
My dog tends to regard me quizzically when I do not raise my voice to him as he attempts to water my plants, and 'Bad Boy' in a softer, more genteel tone does not stop him chasing fledglings.

This malady is brought on by repeat showings of most of Miss Austen's works beginning with the definitive film of Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle followed by Emma and then Persuasion and then last night the dreadful version of P&P with Kiera Knightly only rescued by the 'I love, love, love you' of Mister Darcy.

Each year this malady manifests itself with the symptoms I have listed here, but, thankfully it lasts but a few days...or even hours if the Master requests I revert before he is obliged to shut me in my room to recover. Already I can feel a swear word coming on...the strain is too much. And of course, Miss Austen did not smoke, did she?

12 comments:

  1. Oh Moannie!!! that 'I love.. I love.. I love you' is worth watching the whole blasted thing for...watched it twice the other night!...and like you I do love me a bit of carriage and corset......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post makes me want to re watch and reread them all again. I must say that line melts my heart every time I hear it.

    Maybe I shall go get my Austen-itus on now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how funny! Yes, these momentary slips can make people quite nervous. Hopefully, this doesn't last too long, or we won't know what to do, will we?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, other's standards. So hard to live by. Just be yourself, dearie. But I am all about watching each and everyone all over again. Why is that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well! I hope you are back to your profanely funny self by now -- we'd be lost without the 'real' you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i get the same way, and then I watch Lost in Austen and all is right again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol....hilarious! Being ignorant like I am, it took me all the way to the end of your post to figure out what you were talking about. I have to say, I have never seen Pride and Prejudice (oh, but I loved Colin Firth in The King's Speech and in Mama Mia!), but I did see Sense and Sensibility. I have never read a book by Jane Austen, but if you love her this much, I must check one out and read it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha! Of course we are affected by literature and the films that we love. It does tend to spill over, doesn't it? You might remember my post titled 'Doing the Alan Shore in Asda'! LOL!

    I'm reading a book at the moment about the (fictional) filming of 'Persuasion'. It is absolutely saturated in Austen. You'd love it! Although ... maybe you wouldn't. It's a very lightweight romance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What about "Sense and Sensibility" with Kate Winslet and Emma Thompson? One of my all time favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hahahahaha!!! so funny. i should send my girls. they'd be in their glory for the austen fest!

    ReplyDelete