Tuesday 13 December 2011




They have travelled with me all my married life; the first things I pack and unpack. Faded now, even yellowed where the sun of France, Spain  and Mexico have burned, they sit where I can see them, unopened for years, just waiting to welcome me back. I have more...hardbacks bought when things were good. Angeliques, Catherines and Marianne s. All beautiful, all tempestuous, mostly green-eyed  with a figure Sophia Loren would be proud of.

I would be the first to admit [since doing my degree and becoming a bit poncey] that these is  no literary merit to these genres of the bodice busting-historical romance-adventures stories [although I have just spotted Ayn Rand...so that's where she went?]. Narrative driven they do exactly what they say on the covers.They tell stonking adventure stories with lots of heaving bosoms, sardonic men, gypsies, pirates and even magic.

I love 'em all.

Yesterday I picked one up...and now the die is cast. I must to  the beginning go.  Anglelique.. a child, poor and barefoot.  Sigh!

And when the well ran dry in the 70's and no-one was writing that genre any more...I wrote one myself. A two volume masterpiece...Meg and the Rufus Box and Meg and the Blood Red Stones.  Brilliant they are. Stuck on a shelf somewhere, waiting to make my fortune. Almost publishable the man said, at Collins. But kids and life, travel and work got in the way. Well...that's my excuse and I am sticking to it.

19 comments:

  1. dust them off - get them into the world of eBooks and self publish them! You could be the next internet author sensation ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be standing in line to purchase them, money in hand!!!! Oh, PLEASE self-publish them!!!!! I'll bet 812 of them will sell in the first ten minutes!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and just yesterday, I posted a book that was a joint effort of myself and my son (then 12) on my blog....it was going to cost $63 to make it into a book, so I just put it on my blog so it will be included in my blog book....forever to be memorialized. I did the illustrations, and he wrote the story. It was a class project that he had to write and then read aloud to a first grade class. Not as good as your story, I'm sure, but in it's own class of stories, it's pretty cute. :) It'll make you smile. Luv ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can tell they are really cherished books. Theres a lot to be said for self publishing.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto! Get out there, Moannie, and show the publishing world all your starry qualities and talent - You give Marianne a run for her sous!

    Love to you, feisty girl <3 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember a time when I just couldn't get enough of these Gothic romances. But now my book shelves are loaded with reference books and field guides.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah,I knew! I could imagine! So good of you to share these tid-bits of your life, and now, you tell us you have two romances sitting and waiting to be exposed. Well, then, go on,put them out there for all to see.
    What are you waiting for?
    E-books readers will devour them.

    Happy Holidays, Dear Moanie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will pass no judgment. I was once an avid reader of a series of adventure novels, designed for men, known as The Destroyer series, full of radical violence, violent love scenes, and all sorts of other good stuff. I would defend those as good fun, so I won't make fun of your good fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Golly. Who knew E.books and such. Sazzie! Help!

    ReplyDelete
  10. l'm on to it right now mum...call me when u have a moment...discuss...


    sazzie x x

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Aunt passed 2 yrs ago and we put into her coffin a Georgette Heyer she loved and a cup of coffee .. she always loved Georgette and a cup!

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you count the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon (much less bodice ripping but incredibly romantic all the same), I am right there with you. If you haven't read Ms. Gabaldon, give it a go! You might add her to your collection, who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  13. ah, we all have our guilty pleasures. glad you've rediscovered yours ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's my birthday, and you are officially invited to come by my blog for the party - there will be cocktail weenies and whisky sours! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. how wonderful we share an excuse Moanie
    it's why i never sailed, never climbed, never published. So busy living for others, i forgot how to live myself.
    now, my dreams have grown small
    but dream, still, i do
    love
    rick

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, dear Moannie....how are you???? It's been a week since we last heard from you. I hope you are home, petting Milo and regaining your strength. I hope JP is pampering you until you are spoiled. Big hug across the ocean....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thinking of you and hoping all is well. Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, you should self-publish! I think Amazon allow you to do so in Kindle editions!!

    I haven't been reading/posting much lately, so I'm catching up. I'm off to backtrack a little and see what's been going on!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's much easier to self-publish these days, not like before when sharks took your money. I know two people who have self-published books, more than one in each case. It did cost them, but they have produced actual books which they are selling on Amazon or via their own website.

    Your many fans would absolutely love to read your books! Why have you been hiding this secret so long!!!!

    ReplyDelete